François-Constant Girel was a Lumière operator who shot a number of ‘views’ in Germany, Switzerland and France before being sent to Japan where he shot 13 ‘views’ between January and December 1897. These appeared in the Lumière catalogue as follows:
- 733-734 [Japanese family taking a meal, Kyoto].
- 739 – Procession shintoiste, Kyoto [Shinto Procession, Kyoto]
- 740 – Danseuses japonaises, Kyoto [Japanese Women Dancers, Kyoto]
- 741-742 Les Aïnos à Yeso [The Ainu of Yeso (today Hokkaido)]
- 925 – Lutteurs japonais [Japanese Wrestlers]
- 926 – Escrimeurs japonais [Japanese Swordsmen]
- 975-78 – Acteurs japonais [Japanese Actors]
- 979 – Danseuses: danse de l’eventail [Women Dancers: fan dance]
However, Girel’s performance in Japan appears to have been questioned and he was replaced by Gilbert Veyre. When he returned to Lyon, he was not given any further commissions by Lumière and he returned to his previous profession as a pharmacist.
For further information see here